Dairy Free "Milk" Kefir Grains - 1 Teaspoon
*Please be patient with your brew. The grains can take up to 10 brews to be fully activated.
What are Kefir Grains?
Although the name has 'grain' in it, there are no actual grains such as wheat, oat or rye in our vegan milk kefir grains. It is a combination of yeast and bacteria and this is used to make fermented dairy-free milk beverage. For these particular grains, we will suggest using almond milk or coconut milk to ferment. However it will also be able to ferment dairy milk as well.
Why it’s good for you?
The most known benefits are the probiotics that exist in kefir. The quantity and strains can vary from batch to batch you make. Here are some types of yeast and bacteria that were found in a study.
*source link here
How to Brew Dairy Free Kefir?
- Sterilize your tools with hot water.
- Strain the mylk kefir grains from the jar and discard the liquid. You can also give your grains a quick rinse.
- In a glass jar that can hold up to 1L, your mylk kefir grains and add 1 L of fresh non-dairy milk over the grains.
- Cover the top with a kitchen towel or paper towel and stop it with a rubber band.
- Place the jar in a place without direct sunlight and allow it to ferment in room temperature for 24 - 48 hours. It will ferment faster in summer and slower in winter. In Hong Kong's summer, it can be as fast at 6 hours to ferment.
- After the fermentation, the mylk will start to coagulate and will become a yogurt like texture. Then this is ready! Strain the grains with a sieve (preferably a plastic one!) and the liquid you got will be your first brew of mylk kefir! You can consume it as it is or can further ferment it in an airtight bottle with more flavors. (second fermentation.)
- You can start from #1 again for anther batch of your mylk kefir brew.
- Close the airtight bottle and store it in your refrigerator up to 10 days. Best to serve cold. Enjoy!
Things to remember!
- Please use the mylk kefir grains for brewing dairy-free mylk or dairy milk kefirs only. Do not use it for water based brews.
- Please store the grains in the refrigerator once you receive our jar. These are raw mylk grains and not dehydrated.
- If you are going to brew a large batch (more than 1 L) please purchase 2 jars of mylk kefir grains to support your large brew. Or allow a longer fermentation time for your brew.
If you are not sure about how to use this product, please contact us on email@example.com before you place your order :)
Please be patient with your brew. The grains can take up to 10 brews to be fully activated.
Are you scared to brew?
We will have kefir brew classes soon. Stay tuned!
We also have a Kombucha Starter Kit too!